This is the recipe for the Gluten Free Mud Cake………. Enjoy x
- 250g (9oz) Unsalted Butter, Softened
- 600g (1lb 5oz) Caster Sugar
- 3 Large Eggs (I used 4 Medium Sized)
- 470g (1lb 1oz) Plain Gluten Free Flour (Doves is the best)
- 140g (5oz) Cocoa Powder (make sure it is gluten-free and not drinking chocolate)
- 2 tsp Bicarbonate of Soda
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 375ml (13floz) Buttermilk (I used 284ml and the rest of just plain milk)
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 375ml Boiling Water (I forgot this, so you don’t really need it)
- 175g Dark Chocolate, minimum 70%
- 250g Unsalted Butter, Softened
- 275g Icing Sugar
- 1 Tablespoon of Vanilla Extract
The Sponge Method
- Preheat the oven to 170’C (325’F) and line the tins (3 x 8-inch loose bottom)
- Cream the butter and the sugar until fluffy.
- Weigh out the dry ingredients in another bowl and in a jug mix the buttermilk, milk (if you don’t have enough buttermilk) the eggs and the vanilla.
- The add a bit of the flour and mix, then a bit of the wet ingredients and mix. Alternate between wet and dry ingredients.
- Then add the boiling water slowly, if you want too. I am not sure how this would react to the gluten-free, but it may give a better crumb.
- Pour the mix into the three tins and bake for 35-45 mins until the sponge bounces back when lightly pressed. Remove the sponges from the tins and allow to completely cool.
The Method for the Frosting
- Melt the Dark Chocolate and let it cool slightly
- Cream together the icing sugar, butter, milk and vanilla extract.
- Add the Chocolate and beat until lighter in colour and fluffy. This takes a good 5 mins minimum.
- Place a little of the frosting on a board and then the first layer on the frosting upside down.
- Spoon a 1/4 of the frosting on the cake and spread it out, add the next layer and repeat until you get the top. Place the remaining frosting on the top and spread out. I put raspberries on mine!
Please follow and like us: